Applying for an FRN Number
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) now requires all applicants to establish an online account in the COmmission REgistration System (CORES) and a FCC Registration Number (FRN) in order to issue a Radio License. These instructions will show you how to obtain an FRN prior to test day.
Part 1: Establish FCC Username account
- Go to https://apps.fcc.gov/cores and click on REGISTER in the Need a Username? box.
- Fill in the requested information:
- Username (your email address)
- Password (12-15 characters)
- Secondary email address (optional)
- Phone number
- Security question and answer
- Click on Create Account. Watch your email for a message with the subject FCC Account Request Verification and click on the link in the message to validate your new account.
Part 2: Register for new FRN
- Go to https://apps.fcc.gov/cores and fill in your username and password in the Username Login box and click LOG IN.
- Click on Register new FRN.
- Check boxes to indicate an individual with a contact address in the US, then click CONTINUE.
- Check box to proceed with a CORES FRN Registration and click CONTINUE.
- Fill in the requested information (including SSN) and click SUBMIT.
- If successful, you will get this message: “Thank you for registering with the FCC. As of today, Feb XX 2019 XX:XXPM, you have been assigned the following FCC Registration Number (FRN): 0XXXXXXXXX. Please print this page for your records. ”
- Bring a copy of the page printed in the previous step to the testing session.
If you have an FRN but don’t remember it:
Go to https://apps.fcc.gov/cores and click on SEARCH. Then in the FRN dropdown menu select Last Name and enter your Last Name and click SEARCH. Use Advanced Search if you have a common name.
Updated September 2021