One-Day Ham Radio License Class
- Date: Saturday, February 3, 2024
- Time: 8:30 am to 5:00 pm with a one-hour lunch break
- Place: Benicia Senior Center, 1205 East Second Street, Benicia, CA (map)
Registration will open in December.
- New license applicants must register with the FCC and receive an FRN number. See this information page.
- Register for the exam session at a link to be provided.
- Sign up and pay online for the class with our payment processing partner Stripe at a link to be provided OR mail a check for $35.00 to Benicia Amateur Radio Club, PO Box 561, Benicia, CA 94510. If you’re sending a check, please email HamRadioClass@beniciaarc.com to let us know there’s a check in the mail. Seats in the class will be confirmed in the order of payments received.
Volunteers from the Benicia Amateur Radio Club will conduct a One-Day Technician Class Ham Radio study session (Ham Cram) to allow more people in the greater Bay Area and the Sacramento Valley to quickly earn their Ham licenses. We encourage CERT members to expand their value to their teams by becoming licensed Amateur Radio Operators.
We also offer a simultaneous One-Day General Class upgrade study course for those who currently possess a Technician License.
Our facilitators have studied the very successful methods used by thousands at Bay Area Educational Amateur Radio Society (BAEARS) sessions and we are proud that we are able to provide a similar experience.
The method was developed in 1995 by John Portune W6NBC to improve the percentage of people passing the exam. See John’s website for information on the design and results from this learning system. This method has helped approximately 6000 people obtain their radio licenses.
This is NOT a class in the normal sense. It is a guided study of six 45-minute reading periods, with breaks and time to grab a lunch nearby. This is the most efficient way to maximize attention span against study fatigue. In other words, we tell you how to study, keep you doing it in an organized way and then give the test as soon as you are finished. It is a proven “winning formula.” Short term memory is the “secret” of the high success rate. All exam questions will be what you study during the session. This is the biggest reason why 90% are easily able to recognize the correct answers immediately after reading the question pool thoroughly, leading to a high pass ratio. Read the many testaments and accolades from prior class attendees.
Those who are under the age of 16 and those with learning disabilities will not do as well with this method. (We have learned that conventional study methods work best for these students.) Our One-Day Study Session has an amazing pass rate of 90% or more by adults between the ages of 18 and almost 80. Because this system allows the individual to study at their own pace, it requires the individual be self motivated. No pre-study or preparation is required or recommended.
The study session, conducted in Benicia, begins at 8:30 AM, provides an hour and fifteen minute break for lunch and ends at 3:45 PM. The day concludes with an exam session at 4:00 P.M and typically takes less than 30 minutes. You have a choice to take the exam using a smartphone or on paper. Paper exams take more time to grade.
The cost is $35, which includes all study material and the exam fee. We also provide free coffee and other refreshments throughout the day to make things easier. Lunch is NOT included but we will provide a list of many restaurants within walking distance.
An exam only session will be available throughout the day. Exam fee $14.00.
Payment is required at registration to guarantee a seat in the class.
After you pass the exam and the FCC processes your application you will need to pay a $35 license fee to the FCC. This applies for all license applications. See this information page.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
- More than 7 days before class: Full refund
- 3-7 days before class: $20.00 refund
- Less than 3 days before class: no refund. You can also transfer your payment to another applicant. Please advise us at email@example.com with the applicant’s name.
If you have any questions, you may email the class registrar at HamRadioClass@beniciaarc.com. The event is conducted exclusively by volunteers.