Benicia Amateur Radio Club

Social Security Number or FRN?

Printer-friendly version

Some people are opposed to using their Social Security Number on Applications. The FCC requires either your Social Security Number (SSN) or a Federal Registration Number (FRN) in order to issue a Radio License.

These instructions will show you how to create your own FRN in advance of test day. If you already have an FRN, you can stop here. You don’t want two FRNs. It could delay the issuance of your license. Just write it down and bring it with you. If you don’t remember it, see the last paragraph below to see how to locate it.

Having an FRN is not mandatory, but it will simplify your paperwork and you won’t need to enter your Social Security Number on the form.

Once your new license appears in the ULS database, you are licensed and can operate. The FCC has discontinued sending licenses to new Hams. You will not receive a license in the mail. You must print it out yourself.

Creating a Federal Registration Number (FRN) 

Before you start

 Open a web browser.

Search “FCC ULS”

Click on “CORES”, (FCC Registration System) or go directly to


Answer the two questions:


Fill out the form.

Click on SUBMIT at the bottom of the form.

If successful, you will get this message:

“Thank you for registering with the FCC. As of today, Feb XX 2015 XX:XXPM, you have been assigned the following FCC Registration Number (FRN): XXXXXXXXXX.”

“Please print this page for your records.”

Bring your FRN to the testing session.

 If you have an FRN but don’t remember it:

Go to: and click on SEARCH. Then in the FRN dropdown menu select Name and enter your Last Name and click SEARCH. Use Advanced Search if you have a common name.